Thursday, 19 June 2008

Skyscrapers: Bank of China Tower

The Bank of China Tower is one of Hong Kong's biggest buildings. At 367 metres (1205 feet) to the top of the antenna, the building soars over Hong Kong's skyline.



Topped out on August 8, 1988, completed in 1989 and opened in 1990, the building was designed by world-famous architect I.M. Pei, and is world-renowned for making a bold architectural statement, standing out from other building at the time of its conception (1982). The diagonal white lines (that are supposed to hint at bamboo sticks) making their way up the building symbolize prosperity and livelihood in traditional Chinese culture.

The building was the tallest structure in Hong Kong until the completion of Central Park in 1992, and was the first skyscraper outside of America to reach its height.

2 comments:

Alan said...

Ok, so you are officially my favorite person in the world right now! I love your blog and instantly fell in love with that upshot in this specific post. The Bank of China Tower is on my list of skyscrapers to see one day. I love the architecture! If you have time, too, check out my blog and see if you like it. I will be adding a link to yours soon :)

Your big fan,
alan

Anonymous said...

I just found the website who reviews about
many
home based business reviews

If you want to know more here it is
home based business